At Timeless, we talk a lot about how serums give your skin a vitamin boost. Our products can be added to any skincare routine, but one of the most common questions is why and how to layer Timelessha skincare products.
Shelly Leggins, a Product Education Specialist at Timeless, says that the best rule of thumb is to put on the most active ingredients first so they can be absorbed better. Most of the time, these are water-based or light products made to soak into the skin. Then, there are heavier products that seal in moisture and sit on top of the skin. CEO Veronica Pedersen compares her company to a cake, with the frosting on top protecting and keeping the sponge moist.
Like there are best times of day to eat certain foods, like a glass of hot water with lemon in the morning to rehydrate your body. It wakes your digestive system or eats protein at lunch to keep your energy up for the rest of the day. It's essential to know when to use specific skincare products.
Why is it important to layer your skincare?
A layer of skincare is important because it makes them work better. Here are four reasons why it's important to layer your skincare:
Active ingredients work better
Skincare products use active and inactive ingredients to treat skin problems like pimples and dark circles under the eyes. When you layer your skin care products properly, the active ingredients can work better on your skin.
It Makes it easier for your skin to absorb the products
If you put your skin care products on in the correct order, your skin will absorb them thoroughly.
Helps you mix ingredients safely
When using more than one skincare product, it's essential to know which active ingredients can be used together and which ones you shouldn't. This keeps your skin's pH levels and balances from getting messed up and keeps your skin from getting irritated. Be careful not to mix brightening vitamin C serum with retinol, which can irritate the skin, or niacinamide, which will make both products less effective.
Prevents sun damage
Since vitamin C and hyaluronic Acid Serum make your skin more sensitive to light, they make it more likely to get damaged by the sun. Use SPF with these products as part of your morning skincare routine to keep UV rays from damaging your skin.
When should you use them, and how?
Use warm water and a gentle cleanser (if you think you need it) to wake up your face in the morning.
How to Layer in the Morning
- A toner can help bring the skin's pH level back to where it should be. Also, a water-based product like the Timeless HA Spray is a great way to refresh the skin and prepare it for the next step.
- Use a serum, which is a highly concentrated and nutrient-rich product, to treat specific skin problems. For example, you could use the antioxidant Coenzyme Q10 Serum from natural sources or 20% Vitamin C + E Ferulic Acid.
- Eye cream should ideally be used twice a day. In the morning, use Timeless Hydrating Eye Cream to improve the delicate area by filling in fine lines and making them smoother.
- To seal and protect your face for the day, add Hyaluronic Acid Serum to your moisturizer. Before you put on your makeup, try pressing a small amount of Squalane into your skin to act as a natural primer.
Physical SPF should be the last thing you put on your face in the morning to protect it for the day.
We're usually told to eat less in the evening as the day goes on. We shouldn't overeat heavy protein or carbs before bed, and we shouldn't eat too many sweets, alcohol, or caffeine, all of which can make it hard to sleep. If you want to make up for everything you haven't had, look to your skin care products and feel free to pile them on. At night, when your body is in repair mode and can heal up to three times faster than during the day, you want to use the most active and effective ingredients.
Use an oil-based makeup remover to wipe away your makeup and beauty products gently. Then, use a cleanser to remove all the dirt and oil that build up on your skin during the day. However, you can double cleanse according to your requirements.
How to layer in the PM
- Use a toner if you need to keep the pH levels of your skin in balance and help with skin problems.
- Use a serum with the most active ingredients first. This is the best time to use retinol or a powerful anti-aging serum like Timeless Matrixyl 3000 or Matrixyl Synthe6 to rebuild collagen or a Vitamin B5 serum to target blemishes and inflammation.
- Wait a few minutes before putting up to two more Timeless HA serums on your face. This gives each serum time to absorb fully.
Did you know you should never mix certain active ingredients or simultaneously put them on your face?
NO, Vitamin C and Retinols
YES, Timeless Vitamin B5 Serum and Vitamin C Serum
YES, Hyaluronic Acid PURE, then either Squalane OR Argan Oil,
- Use an Eye Cream, like Timeless Dark Circle Eye Cream, to help firm, lift, and refresh the area around your eyes.
- Now is the time to use a potent moisturizer at night and one for the neck, decolletage, hands, feet, etc. Argan oil is good for the whole body because it contains vitamin E and omega fatty acids.